Oh yeah! You know it!
SCAR 17s benefits
- Many reporting 0 Failure to Eject or Failure to Feed, no matter what ammo they use.
- Rarely, some reporting sub-MOA accuraccy with match grade ammo at 100 yards. (click on the image for more accuracy)
- It is very light for a 308.
- Very light felt recoil for a 308.
- Folding stock (no buffer tube).
- Familiar controls for users of AR systems.
- Bragging rights at the range.
SCAR 17s issues
- There are reports that some triggers have creep or feel like a two-stage trigger. Others report that the trigger is the best they've ever had in a factory trigger. The consensus is that FNH is having a quality control issue that either has been solved with the newest rifles from the factory, or that is intermittent and luck of the draw (who in the factory built your trigger component).
- I have personally verified this in the gun store. A SCAR 17s I tried had a horrible trigger. I could feel the metal sliding before it broke and at another gun shop, a SCAR 16s had a wonderful trigger with no movement or sliding before it broke. (The triggers in the SCAR 16s and SCAR 17s are the same.) I went back to the gunstore with the same rifle. They must've worked on it or something, because the trigger is pretty good now. I came really close to buying it on the spot, but they wanted a bit too much for it in my opinion.
- The muzzle break is reported as loud but effective. I've heard of groups getting smaller when it is replaced or removed.
- Reciprocating handle can get in your way or interfere with some optic mounting options.
- The sling mounts on the gun are either aluminum or a soft steel, so steel sling clips will scratch up your paint job and eat into the material. This can be solved by padding the sling attachment device or by attaching a 3rd party mounting solution using the rails. Maybe FN should think of trying to make that attachment a much stronger type of steel?
- The color matching on the different components has been a problem that doesn't want to go away. I've seen pictures of green/light tan/darktan/tan colors for the top, stock, pistol grip, and the reciever. Some like it, but I'd rather have uniform colors. I'll go for the black one. It's the same color.
- Rarely it is reported that the folding stock was broken in the box. I figure that it's a minor problem, since FN will replace it.
How to convert FAL magazines to use in a SCAR 17.
How to fix your SCAR when it looks like your barrel is out of line (the barrel is fine, it's actually something else).
Want to add something that I missed? Leave me a message.